Every one likes to be creative or rather likes to be called creative.
However, many of us think we fall short in terms of our creativity, or it seems so. I believe we are all creative - just that the levels of creativity at which we operate vary.
In my experience it is hard for anyone to be in a state of their creative best always. However, with experience it is easy to be self-aware about your state of creativity and also consciously find ways to enhance and fuel your creativity.
In this article, I am listing 20 ways to spark your creativity. I have personally tried all of these and they have worked for me!
- Sleep - Get a good night sleep for 3 days in a row. Don't set an alarm. It does wonders as a rested mind and body can fuel great creativity.
- Take a walk "alone". There is something about solitude which can bring out your creative best.
- Do nothing for 30 minutes a day. No device, technology, app. Just be - sit / lie / laze around in stillness . You can look at the walls or ceiling. You will be surprised at the impact this has over a 1 week period!
- If you're a right handed person, use you left hand for 15 minutes a day. If you are a left handed person, use you right hand. In 1 week, you will experience the difference. You just have shaken up some nerves inside and that catalyzes creativity.
- Indulge in physical exercise for 45 minutes - Run, dance, play a game, do whatever to get your heart pumping and hormones flowing!
- Dream - Yes! Day-dream. There is something about dreaming which sparks better creativity.
- Listen to music, any genre you like. The effect music can have on mind, body and heart is unparalleled.
- Talk heart to heart with someone you love (parents, friends, siblings, children, spouse). Highly charged emotional conversations always take you to a different state of existence.
- Look at the sky for 15 minutes (especially sunrise or sunset) - I don't know why! But this always helps.
- Read something you'd never usually read. Just being experimental in what you read helps.
- Watch a program you'd never usually watch. Just consuming different content types can get you creative.
- Learn something new (For e.g.: Cooking, a new language, art, ikebana, puppet making and photography).
- Laugh - Indulge in anything which makes you smile. It could be stand up comedy, kids cartoon, a funny book, or a witty fun loving person.
- Think about the happiest moment(s) of your life. There's something about good memories which sometimes sparks the best creativity.
- Look at old photographs; time travel almost always makes you nostalgic and feels good!
- Practice yoga - the classical way; it ensures harmony balance and control which aids in creativity.
- Eat something you really love ; good food can tease and please sense organs which again helps in creativity.
- Organize something - your closet, books, clothes, jewelry, vegetables. When done, you tend to be creative.
- Write something - whatever is on your mind.
- Do a random good deed for someone. There is something about doing good for others which can spark off creativity.
Have you tried any of these? Did they work for you?
If not, what has worked for you? Leave a comment to let me know.